Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My Top 5 Most Valuable Social Networks For Indie Musicians

 photo Picture borrowed from http://nailasaurus.blogspot.com/ 

As you know there are countless social networks out there, and it seem like every day I'm making another profile on some new site that does something super cool and allows you to connect which people in some fun way that you hadn't before. Like Instagram, which did not make this list but is my honorable mention for best new social network on the planet. Haha. I  thought it would be a good idea for me to share my top five most important social networks and how I'm currently using them in conjunction to build a small buzz for myself as a musician.

 1. YouTube -  my number one and most imporant place to establish a credible presence  is YouTube. Really, this is a no brainer. We have all seen the the videos that are uploaded and randomly gets a billion hits and go viral, making some kid famous for blowing heart-shaped snot buggers from his nose. Haha. The chances of your videos just sky rocketing to viral status is very, very slim! However, what I have come to love about YouTube is that it still allows you as an individual to upload visuals at your pace and get a real  feel for who your audience is.

2. Facebook - my number two most important social network is, of course, Facebook. You must use the Facebook to collect fans and stay connected with like-minded individuals. To me, Facebook is awesome because it is with this site that you will share all your YouTube videos and content from other sites. If you are using your news feed and status updates right--it can give people a better feel for the kind of person you really are, and keep your voice relevant in your audiences' eyes while in between projects and even allowing  them to participate in the making of it. Facebook is crucial if you're looking to be successful at anything now a days. Lol. Do study it, and use it.

3. Blogger - at  the number three spot, is Blogger. Although I'm new to Blogger myself, the platform is really easy to navigate, customize and make uniqe to your brand. To me, it acts like the mother-ship to all your sites. The goal is to drive your audience from all of your various sites to this one place where they can go to get the newest information on you and your project. Also, if you're a good blogger, there are plenty of ways to monetize and turn your blog into a good source of revenue.

4. Tumblr - this might be surprising to you, but I am putting both Blogger and Tumbler before Twitter.
That's right, my number four spot goes to Tumblr. It's like Blogger in the sense that it's a good place where your audience can go to get a deeper feel of what you're all about. Tumblr makes it really easy to have a nice professional blog, and you can just reblog the content you like from others'.

5. Twitter - my last and, at this point, least favorite social network is Twitter. I'm not in any way trying to bash Twitter, Its obvious that it can be a very powerful tool to help share and creat awareness about your projects. The thing is, I feel like Twitter can be a bigger waste of time if you are not using is properly. With that being said, I'll keep you up to date as I learn more about Twitter and how I can make better use of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment