Saturday, September 29, 2012

What is Social media week 2012?

 

   
This is a video I shot with my iPhone of Asher Roth answering a question about social media.

   OK, so social media week 2012 is an event that goes on for a week simultaneous all over the world, and yesterday was officially the last day of social media week 2012 here in LA. Me and my lady went to the seminars held at the famous Egyptian theater, the W hotel, Madam Tussauds, and a few other locations. Most not even a block from my apartment here in Hollywood. As you still might not know, I've been a social media nerd since forever, but honestly this was my first time attending any event like this. I was excited like a kid on Christmas eve all last week, because I couldn't wait to see how the some of the A list celebrities, big time PR companies, and record labels are using social media. We got a chance to see so many great panels of speakers throughout the week. It was bloody fuckin' crazy! Lol. Absolutely fuckin' priceless! Lol. This is how the EC Twins might have said it. Lol. The whole experience turned out to be truly amazing and at times even surreal. I was lucky enough to be sitting only four or five rows away as Lady Gaga's manager, Troy Carter, spoke about how important it is for musicians to have one main hub to facilitate and engage your fans. I was blown away listening to Snoop Dogg's online presence-manager explain how Snoop has basically built the ultimate personal brand, allowing him, the artist, the business man, and the spoke's person, to all work for him in harmony online. People, don't look at it as jumping on the band wagon, call it being aware of the times. Social media is more alive now than ever, and I felt kinda good about a few of the efforts I've already made. Not just as a rapper from Cincinnati, but as "BRAND PETER PARKER 513".
 I was listening to the editor of Vibe magazine, Sarah Polonsky, run down a list of things the new age artists needs to do in order to have shot at success, and I had almost all of it done already. Haha. Like I said before Surreal :) We saw special guest, Big Boi of Outkast, kill it and set the tone for the incredible Janelle Monáe, who performed live at the Nokia Center (at LA Live) last Tuesday. The rest of the week was jam-packed with fashion bloggers, celebrity speakers like: Nick Cannon and Larry King, to Asher Roth and Chip the Ripper. They threw parties and had open bars where we did some really good networking, and made some legitimate contacts. During the seminars my mind was like a sponge, I soaked up all kinds of social media tips and information. But by far the highlight of this week, was meeting the one and only, Chip The Ripper. I love Chips' music and persona. Living in Hollywood, I'm so used to seeing celebs and really it's not something that normally moves me at all. But Chip the Ripper is from Ohio! so to see the real "OG" was like stupid motivating for me.









No comments:

Post a Comment