Wednesday, March 22, 2017

What is the Best Digital Distribution Company for my Music?

This video is over two years old, but it's one I think I saw about that long ago and just recently came across it again. It gives you a side by side breakdown of each of the most popular distribution companies, One Rpm, CDBaby, TuneCore and DistroKid based on the categories of Price, % of Royalties they keep from your sales, ISRC and UPC code costs, Payout methods, general reputation and the extra services they each offer included in their membership.



For a long time, I have been preparing myself in a lot of different ways to progressively make my way into the music industry as an independent artist. It's always been something I've wanted to do on my own terms which inevitably leads to digital distribution. Obviously, everybody knows that the internet era has changed the landscape of the music industry and what it means to be an independent artist, and I want to go about releasing my new music in the smartest way possible.



I'm sure some things have changed about these services, but for the most part, I find this video to be extremely helpful. Obviously, the narrator really likes One RMP, and I agree. The only thing I know One RMP doesn't do, that CD baby does do, is ship physical copies of the CDs with packaging, art work and barcodes. And they will actually design it for you too, which is pretty cool. Over the years I have gathered a lot of info about all these and other distribution companies with the exception of DistroKid, so I understand why he leans towards One RMP.



I think the direct to fan sales option that One RMP gives you caters to new artists that are just getting started. It's huge that they don't charge to add your music to internet radio stations and streaming services because it makes you look really professional as an artist and is great for your brand.

I don't have an account with One RMP yet, but I believe they are the direction I will be going in soon. I hope this info is helpful for some of you that are looking into this type of stuff and thank you for reading.







No comments:

Post a Comment